Sunday, May 3, 2020

Lighten Up While You Still Can

When I was a teenager, the first part of the weekend was always dedicated to cleaning the house. My mom would pop the Eagles' Greatest Hits into the 8 track player and blast it on continuous loop until our home was clean. Back then, I pulled my pillow over my head and tried to stay asleep as long as I could, but the band didn't make it easy with their breezy sing-along seventies rock, and neither did my mom.

In fact, our conflict over that very chore led to one of my more infamous occasions of disrespect. After studying Hamlet, I pulled my head from under the pillow and snarled, "Do you know what 'termagant' means?"

She did not. "Why don't you tell me?" she replied.

And I was stupid enough to do so.

As I cleaned my own house this morning, though, something there was that made me think a little loud music would lighten the labor. Of course the first sound track I considered was Eagles' Greatest Hits, followed by a couple of my mom's other favorites, John Denver and Fleetwood Mac.

And you now what? The house was scrubbed, dusted, vacuumed, and mopped in quick and easy fashion, before You Can Go Your Own Way was over.

Thanks, Ma.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your tone, looking back on your foolish decision to "educate" your mom - it sounds like you were the one schooled in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to imagine even the teenaged-you being disrespectful to anyone! I appreciated the apt song tie-ins, which take me right back to that era.

    ReplyDelete