Wednesday, May 13, 2020

I is for Intrinsic

In an effort to keep those kids engaged with school and rescue myself from 30 cringy minutes of small talk, I have planned fun activities for my virtual office hours. Today, any student with the gumption to log in and join the conference was presented with a scavenger hunt and the promise of a reward if successfully completed.

The ten items were common enough to ensure success within 10 minutes, and also designed to start conversations. The first was a book, What is it about? later it was a photograph, Who is it of? Where was it taken? and something old, This is my baby blanket; these are my cleats from when I was 7; this has been in the house since it was built... 5 years ago.

Our half-hours flew by, and I spent the afternoon writing 8 short notes of thanks and encouragement (and the challenge to invite at least one other student next week), which I dropped into an envelope along with a slim Air Head candy wrapped in shiny foil.

I have hope that they will know which is the true prize.

Life Lesson: "Every moment happens twice: once outside and once inside." ~Zadie Smith

1 comment: