Tuesday, May 12, 2020

H is for How Much Longer?

My heart sank when I heard last Thursday that our days of distance teaching and learning would continue through June 12. I've been doing my best to stay positive and see the silver linings of this far from perfect situation, but extending it another 5 weeks seems impossible.

As one of my students wrote recently, We are coming to the time we’re we have been out of school for 9 weeks next week it will be ten. I am so bored, it’s a whole new level of bored.

And I know most kids feel that way. It is a struggle to engage them at all, let alone teach them. But of course, we're not giving up. My team and I are working hard to plan and design writing activities that kids will enjoy, and just today I was in a meeting full of ideas for bingo, pictionary, dance parties, and scavenger hunts. We can and we will get those kids involved in school.

And? The end of the year is coming, just not as quickly as we hoped.

Life Lesson: Mind over matter.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's turned into quite a grind, but it sounds like you have some enticing activities planned. I will silently chant "mind of matter" in my weaker moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the picture of positivity, Tracey! Not to mention an inspiration to many of us.

    ReplyDelete