Sunday, May 24, 2020

T is for These Things

1. Treat, my nephew

With the stay-at-home order this spring, Treat has expanded both his interest in gardening, and the vegetable beds he put in last year. His garden is amazing, and at 25, he is tireless and strong, especially when it comes to gardening.

2. Transplanting

So, I leapt at Treat's offer to help me in our garden. We even went ahead and made it official, adding his name to the community as our co-gardener. Treat and I spent over four hours in our garden today. I had some lumber and metal corners and I had hauled in 16 bags of top soil with the plan f constructing a raised bed. First, though, we had to move some flowers that were on the spot. With two of us working, the task went quickly and well, and we created a little cutting garden in the corner and along the fence.

3. Tomatoes

MY main crop has always been that jewel of summer, vine ripe tomatoes, and this year will be no different. After we wrestled the raised bed together and filled it with the soil, we put in 10 tomato plants. Some of them were from my friend and colleague, Enid, who nurtured them from seed for our school garden, which she manages quite impressively. After 11 weeks away from the building, it was nice to see her in person when she dropped the wee tomato plants by.

We still have a bunch more tomatoes to plant, too.

4. Tomorrow

Treat and I parted ways at a little before four, but not before agreeing to meet back there tomorrow morning to build another bed and plant a few more veggies.

5. Three sisters

One of the other projects we'll work on tomorrow will be creating the mounds for our three sister growing. This year we have four varieties of corn, five types of shell beans, and six or seven squashes. Planting those crops together last year was a whim, but this year? It's a mission!

6. Tired

I was pretty spent when I unlaced my boots and stepped out of them on the front porch. I headed right upstairs, shucked my garden duds, left the tie-dye t-shirt and cargo shorts in a heap on the floor and hit the shower. I'm still tired, but it's definitely the good kind.

As worn out as I am, I'm also so grateful for all the help. We made a lot of progress, much more than I ever could have done on my own, and I'm excited to get back in there tomorrow.

Life Lesson: T is also for Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to walk by and see all the weekend's progress, having witnessed the beginning stage of transplanting flowers. This is definitely the best kind of tired!

    ReplyDelete