Wednesday, May 6, 2020

B is for Becoming a Reader

I received Becoming Brianna, the latest book in the Emmie & Friends series by Terri Libenson yesterday. I had preordered it months ago, knowing how popular the graphic novel series is with sixth grade girls, especially, and when it arrived I was a little sad to know that I wouldn't be sharing my copy with any kids this year.

I was also a little excited, though, because my niece Annabelle and I have read the other books in the series together, even though she lives in Atlanta. We had a virtual book group before they became popular by necessity. This year Annabelle is in sixth grade, and my heart goes out to her, because I know all that she's missing at the end of the year. She's an extrovert, too, so that in person connection that all my students write about missing is especially important to her.

I texted Annabelle a picture of the cover as soon as I opened the package, and she replied immediately. When she was younger, she used to be an avid reader, but in the last few years she says she doesn't like it much anymore. Even so, she is eagerly upholding our tradition of reading these particular books together.

As a teacher, it has always been my philosophy to help every student find a book they want to read rather than assign them a required text. Years ago, when graphic novels were enjoying the beginning of what has become a publishing tsunami of popularity, there was a big debate in teaching as to whether reading them really "counted" as reading. In between the firm yes and no positions that educators held, there was middle ground that posited that engaging, easy-to-read books could be gateways for resistant readers, inviting them in to the fold, and helping them to see themselves as people who read.

These days, every teacher I know has a lot of graphic novels on the classroom book shelf, but there is still kind of a bias against them. In my niece's school, students are assigned quarterly book projects and they are required to pick a book that is on or above their reading level. Annabelle is a good reader, and finding a book is often a challenge for her because so many great, high interest titles are below her score.

I have to wonder if there is a correlation between the assignment expectations and her diminishing interest in reading, especially given our mutual enthusiasm for Becoming, Brianna. After all? It's a little below my reading level, too.

Life Lesson: If you want 'em to read, let 'em read what they want!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet tradition you have with your niece! I liked the image of a "publishing tsunami" and could picture all the graphic novels bouncing in the waves!

    ReplyDelete