Tuesday, May 5, 2020

A is for Andiamo!

As a monolingual language teacher, I confess to being intrigued by the mentions a few of my students have made, both in writing and conversation before school was out, of their Duolingo Streaks. I have overheard them off-handedly compare notes about using the free app to learn Greek, Latin, Russian, and Klingon in their spare time, and I have been a bit envious.

Although I don't really speak (or read or write) any other languages fluently, I took French through college, lived in Italian and Arabic-speaking countries for several years as a teenager, been fortunate enough to travel widely, and have participated in countless Spanish-translated conferences in my years of teaching in this diverse county.

In those situations, as the conversation washes over me, I feel the meaning of these other languages just out of reach, like trying to remember a wonderful dream when I wake up. I want to understand.

And so yesterday, on a whim, I downloaded the app that the kids speak of so casually, so cooly. And friends? My streak is two! I am learning Italian. Or, perhaps I should say, Io imparo Italiano!

Life Lesson: You can teach an old dog new tricks-- with time and motivation.

2 comments: