Monday, May 1, 2023

User Error

 More often than seems possible, a student will be working furiously on some writing assignment they need to post online using our LMS when a loud cry of distress rings through the room. "I just lost everything I wrote!" they will groan. 

I confess that I am not always very sympathetic in these situations. For one, I always advise them to use the browser version of the site rather than the app, because it has more functionality including an autosave feature. For another, they usually don't have that much to write, and it seems like little more than an aggravation to have to recreate their thoughts.

Yesterday, I was pushing an end-of-month deadline to get some professional learning done when I was interrupted by something. I returned to the task, a couple paragraphs written in response to a book I had read, after dinner and carefully crafted my reply. When I clicked the post button, I got a message that I had been logged out of the site because of inactivity. 

You guessed it! I lost all my work.

Maybe I'll be a bit more empathetic with the kids in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment