Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Aftermath

My afternoon class was antsy and unfocused today. The situation was hardly surprising: there was a new desk arrangement, a modified schedule, they were just back from lunch, and oh, yes, this morning was the state reading test. 

As such, I moved around the room as I taught and struck an even more animated demeanor than usual. At one point, after using my signature wolf whistle to refocus the group, I said, "Geesh you all! You act like you spent the whole morning sitting quietly and taking a state reading test!"

"We DID!!!!" they howled.

"Well," I opened my hands in an exaggerated shrug, "what about me?"

They looked blankly at me.

"That's right!" I told them. "You think it's bad to take that test? At least you had something to do! How would you like to spend all that time just watching other people take the test?"

At least one student laughed, and I knew they saw my point. 

It sure didn't matter though; they were ruined for the day. Which? Was hardly a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment