Saturday, May 27, 2023

Still No

There is a particular fence post on a certain little walking route through our neighborhood that our first dog, Isabel, could not pass by without pausing to sniff. Once she had filled her nose, she always broke into a happy little trot along the fence line. For years, this was part of our morning routine. 

I clearly remember the first time I walked Lucy past the same spot: I was dismayed when she never even hesitated, just kept on her way as if there was no reason to pause. I guess I took it as a clear message to vary the route because it's rare that we find ourselves there. 

Today was an exception, though. I took Lucy for a little afternoon jaunt in the glorious weather, and as we meandered through the neighborhood, that fence post was on the way home. Even after seven years, I slowed my step in anticipation of a sniff and a trot, but of course, I was with a different dog, and she passed right on by.

No comments:

Post a Comment