Thursday, May 4, 2023

School Rules

As the warm-up for a lesson on Freeverse Poetry, I asked students if they could be free from one school rule, which rule would they choose. Predictably, many wanted to be able to use their phones at will, but none could justify their desire academically. Some wanted to carry their backpacks, some to eat in class, and others to chew gum.

To this last group, I simply said, "Look under the table."

"Ewwwww!" was the common reply, because their illicit gum-chewing peers have left wads on the underside of almost all of the tables. Jerks!

One kid wanted to bring her dog to school, which is a sentiment I could behind, but not as enthusiastically as I could support the suggestion that we should allow cussing. "Hell yeah!" I agreed, before taking it all back.

"You know I really love the rules," I told each class.

"That's easy for you!" one kid responded. "You get to enforce them."

No comments:

Post a Comment