Thursday, May 18, 2023

Energy Crisis

It was all a little too much this morning when my smallest, but definitely most energetic, class arrived in the room. Before the bell rang, they were pulling out puppets and soccer balls, and rock-paper-scissoring to determine who got the rocking chair, the wobbly stool, the bungee chair, and the swivel stool. 

And while I am way more liberal than I used to be in terms of non-traditional methods to keep students settled and focused, the ruckus that the 14 of them made in the early moments of class was way more than I could handle. 

Plus? They weren't calm or focused. So I stood and whistled and waved my arms, removing special seating and sports equipment as I made my way through the room. 

Did I stun them into silence, or was it the shock of having all their toys taken? Whatever the cause, the room was silent and the students were seated and attentive.

For about 3 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment