Sunday, May 14, 2023

Seize the May

When we were kids, every neighborhood in our Levitt-designed township had a pool, right next to the elementary school. The pools opened the day after school got out for the summer, usually sometime in mid-June. My mom had a rule that it had to be at least 70 degrees to go to the pool, which made sense,  considering we were living in New Jersey where the average temperature in June could be a bit chilly. 

I thought of those days today as I walked throughout the neighborhoods around here, noting the progress each was making on readying its pool for our traditional Memorial Day opening. And I remembered the rule again when a friend remarked on how much she wished the pool was open after we had just finished some competitive pickleball playing, but I could not agree.

Oh, Mom would have let us go-- it was close to 80 today, with clear skies and low humidity-- but this spring has been so wonderful, mostly sunny, but cool, the kind of weather you can throw your windows open to, that I am in no rush to welcome summer just yet. 

Especially since we still have five weeks of school left!

No comments:

Post a Comment