Friday, May 19, 2023

Everywhere We Go, People Wanna Know

 “Is it the Dolphin Team?” I heard a voice ask as the 30 of us, middle school girls and their mentors, entered a neighborhood restaurant for our end-of-the-year celebration.


“It’s Jefferson,” said the assistant principal, but if you want a Dolphin–” she gestured to me as I turned around. 


A young man of about thirty was standing by the bar. “Nam?” I said as he came forward and embraced me in a huge bear hug.


“I can’t believe you remember me!” he laughed. “It’s been at least 20 years!”


I wasn’t surprised that I remembered him, but I was kind of surprised I recognized him. It turns out he bartends and is one of the managers of the place, so he was in and out checking on our party as the girls ate cupcakes and sliders. The food was plentiful, though, and when they brought in the leftover containers, there was a rush for the buffet.


I looked up from my seat at the now nearly empty table, shaking my head, and caught Nam’s eye. “Are you sure you don’t need a drink after this?” he literally winked. “If you stay, I can hook you up!”


No comments:

Post a Comment