Sunday, May 28, 2023

Weren't We All

My dearest friend from high school is in Lugano, Switzerland, where we went to school, right this minute. How miraculous it seems to see the pictures she is texting me! 

Here is the hotel by the Funicolare, there the department store where we spent our pocket money on weekends, here the piazza we called Federale Square, and there the arcade of the Salumeria, still festooned with huge, hanging salamis. 

Modern technology allows me to see, almost in real-time, the place we lived and graduated from, a few days shy of 44 years ago. 

Downtown looks so different to me, even though the buildings are old, my friend texted. Basically, I didn't observe or appreciate the amazing surroundings here as a youth.

Don't be too hard on yourself, I responded. You were a great kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment