Monday, May 15, 2023

It Happened in English Class

I was working with a student when the door to my classroom burst open and a student entered the room. Without so much as a glance toward me, she marched over to another student and thrust a note in her hand, then she turned on her heel and left. It all happened so quickly, I didn't have a chance to react.

"Is that allowed?" asked a student, and his question brought me to my senses.

"No!" I answered and, looking at the student who had received the note, held out my hand.

She knew what was expected, and handed it to me without surprise or complaint. "What was that about?" I asked, and she shrugged in a you-know-her type of gesture, which was pretty accurate considering the personality of the kid who had delivered the note.

"Read it to us!" someone called out.

"No!" I answered, "That would be mean."

"Some teachers do," another student pointed out.

"I can't imagine that many do," I replied, and their silence told me that the request had been wishful thinking. I turned the note over and saw that it was addressed to someone else altogether, and I looked at the kid who had handed it to me. "Why did she give this to you?" I asked.

"Because I'm better at writing and proofreading," she told me, "and she wanted to make sure it was good before she gave it to him."

I laughed. "Good instincts, bad timing." I shook my head and set the note on my desk. "Tell her to come get it from me after school."

No comments:

Post a Comment