Monday, March 13, 2023

The Sweet Smell of Success

I keep a bag of Jolly Ranchers in the bottom drawer of my desk as an extra incentive for the sixth graders as we go about the business of writing and reading. Often kids can earn one of the fruit-flavored hard candies for participating in a brain break or other little challenge that accompanies the lesson. 

Usually I let the winners pick their flavor, and in general that means blue raspberry is always in short supply, followed by watermelon and green apple. Cherry, although my personal favorite, and grape are the last to go, because as kids have explained to me, they taste like medicine. I guess that's probably true; children's remedies have come a ways since my mom dosed us with orangey baby aspirin and Robitussin that burned the back of our throats going down. 

Even so, with enough incentive, most kids will take any flavor. For example, I have been known to offer two-for-one grapes when we get to the bottom of the bag, and those fly out of the room. Recently, they have had the option to guess which flavor is in my hand when I pull it out of the bag. If they are right? They will get another Jolly Rancher of their choice, but if they are wrong, then they have to take whatever it is. Most kids are happy to take a chance, and this routine is both entertaining and good for keeping the supply even for all the flavors.

One of my classes is full of silly characters, and they have become convinced, convinced! That they can smell the flavor in my hand, if only I'll allow their noses close enough. It makes me laugh when they ask, but I don't really think they are any more correct than the 1 in 5 chance they have without smelling. 

This weekend I decided to test the theory personally, and I brought a small bag of Jolly Ranchers to our family gathering at the beach. Six of the eight of us tried a blind sniff-test with unimpressive results. "Let me smell each one by itself," I suggested, "maybe that will educate my nose."

It did not, but I can't say it's impossible. I'm sure there are folks out there with sharper schnozzolas than mine. 

3 comments:

  1. I have a mouse that would happily take those cherry and grape ones off your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love that you tested this theory on the family - and I love the sheer joy in your interactions with your students that your post shares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schnozzla is such a fun word! Your Jolly Rancher techniques are very impressive. - Enid

    ReplyDelete