Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Extracurricular Activity

"I saw you playing pickleball at the rec," one of my students told me yesterday. "Can I play you sometime?"

"Do you play pickleball?" I asked.

"Can you teach me?" he replied.

"And me, too?" asked another.

"When do you want to do that?" I said.

"How about today?"

"Uhhhh," I answered. "I guess so. Why not?"

And that is how I found myself out on the tennis courts after school with a roll of duct tape, my pickleball paddles and balls, and five sixth grade boys. After we taped off the kitchen line, I gave them a basic overview, and we played a rotating doubles game for a bit. Then a couple guys headed over to the next court to practice, while their buddy challenged me to a singles game. 

The boys were good sports and respectful of my time, and the six of us spent a fun hour. "We should do this every Monday!" one of them said as we packed the equipment and pulled up the tape.

"Yeah!" his friend agreed. "We should have a pickleball club! But a secret one, so that we are the only members."

"Or we can just see how it goes," I suggested. "You know where to find me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment