Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Hard Bargain

"Let's make a deal!" a student approached me this morning before the bell.

I raised my eyebrow. "What kind of deal?"

"I'll trade you some carrots for a Jolly Rancher," she said. There was swagger in her voice, almost as if she knew it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

"Carrots?" I repeated.

"They are your 100 day challenge," she reminded me. "Have you eaten any today?"

I laughed. It was 7:45 a.m. "Not yet," I confessed, and charmed by the entire exchange, I agreed to the deal. 

I handed her a Jolly Rancher, and in return, she handed me an open, single-serve bag of baby carrots with three left in it.

"Thanks!" she said without a trace of irony and popped the candy in her mouth.

"Thank you," I replied and ate one of the sketchy carrots, convinced it was going to be a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment