Monday, March 20, 2023

The Works

I had a dentist appointment after school today. "You're due for x-rays," the hygenist told me looking at my chart. "Do you want those today?"

"I never knew it was an option not to have them," I answered.

"We can't force you," he laughed. "It's always your choice."

"I know they're uncomfortable for a minute," I mused, "but who goes against the recommendation?"

"You'd be surprised," he said. "In fact, when I asked my client right after lunch, he said, 'No thanks, not today.'"

I was stunned. That level of dental non-compliance had never occurred to me. Sure, maybe skipping flossing every now and then when no one was looking, but to refuse x-rays? And so casually, too? Crazy talk!

"Do you want the safety glasses?" the hygenist asked.

Did I? I wondered.

"Of course!" I answered. "I'll take whatever you're offering!"

No comments:

Post a Comment