Monday, March 6, 2023

Be Realistic!

As we kick off our fiction writing unit, I asked my sixth graders what type of fiction they like best and was surprised when roughly 60 percent said that they preferred realistic fiction. At first, I wondered if their choice indicated some generational lack of imagination, but then I thought it might perhaps be a misunderstanding of the sub-genres, so I asked them to name some realistic fiction books that they liked. 

"The One and Only Ivan," one student answered immediately, mentioning the novel by Katherine Applegate.

"That's not realistic fiction," I said. "The animals talk!"

"True," he admitted, "but only to each other. It's not like they talk to any people."

No lack of imagination there!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love that explanation, and I can understand his reasoning. Very funny--and some creative thinking there!

    ReplyDelete