Monday, March 15, 2021

Where He Is Now

It must have been the eyes I recognized first-- despite his face being two-thirds covered with a mask, his eyes were unmistakable. And he nodded when those eyes met mine as he rolled past me on his skateboard; he knew me, too. Then, when I called his name, his eyes narrowed as I'd seen them do so many times, and I knew his lip was curling beneath the mask as he skated past without a word or a backward glance.

"Aw," I said to Heidi, as we continued on in the same direction. He turned around about 50 yards ahead, and glided off to the side, stopping where would have to pass him again.

"You knew that was coming," Heidi told me.

I called his name again and waved. This time he looked up and waited for me to get there. "How are you?" I asked.

"Good," he nodded.

"How about school?"

"It's okay." He shrugged. "Virtual."

"The other teachers are going to be so excited that I saw you," I told him. "Do you have any messages you want me to give them?"

He mentioned two of the team by name. "They were cool," he said.

I ignored the implication that the rest of were not. "Well you look great!" I continued, and it was true: his eyes were clear; his clothes were clean; his body was relaxed. "Come on by and see us when you can. We always want to know how you are."

"Maybe," he allowed. "I think I might move back here for high school next year."

"Can we get a picture?" I asked. "I want to show everyone at school."

He nodded, and I stepped over. He pulled his mask down, and we smiled. I know mine was genuine, and I want to believe that his was, too.

6 comments:

  1. Those moments of reconnecting and catching up are precious, but the level of kindness and joy that you displayed to coax him into sharing was wonderful. Thanks for the slice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, he stopped up ahead. That was definitely intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so relatable. Well, except that I'm not sure I'd recognize any of my former students with masks on. I hardly recognize my current students in their masks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just told a story to my class about a boy that was probably the biggest challenge of my teaching career. He came back last year to visit, and while talking with another teacher and I, he apologized for his behavior when he was here. I had him in fourth grade. He was now in high school. His apology was so genuine and sincere. I felt like it helped close that chapter. I guess you never know what you will get when you see some old students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah those students that always stick with us. We always hope that when we see them again that they've grown. A certain student of mine came to mind as I read this. He recently moved back to our county a few weeks ago. I was a little surprised when I heard a slightly deeper voice say, "Hey Miss B!" I had to do a double take but I knew he was smirking under his mask. Despite being a challenge there were definitely moments where I was able to form a connection. Thank you for giving me this reminder after my tough day today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always amazed at your ability to come up with names on the spot. You never forget a single student, do you?! Truly admirable, and probably why they will never forget you either.

    ReplyDelete