Thursday, March 4, 2021

Pragmatics

When I signed off for my last (scheduled) fully virtual classes of the year today, it was with an enthusiastic, "Have a great weekend and I'll see you on Tuesday!" I paused and added, "Some of you in person."

"Nooooo!" groaned one student.

"I wish I was coming back," sighed another.

I empathized with both of them. There is a fair amount of anxiety among all the stakeholders as we transition from distance learning to hybrid. No one knows what it will be like, and there is a bit of buyer's remorse on both sides of the choice to either send your students in person for 2 days a week or keep them home for the rest of the year.

"Listen," I told them. "Your families chose what they think is best for you. Our class is not going to change-- we will all be here together, some in person, most at home, but we will make it work for everybody, right?"

"Oh I'm not worried about that," responded the first student. "I just don't want to have to get up earlier."

3 comments:

  1. Your reassurance to students was just what I needed to hear at the end of third period today. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to not wanting to get up earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These words represent total trust in you to make it work: "Oh I'm not worried about that..." Meanwhile, I'm just glad you're going first so I can hear how you do.

    ReplyDelete