Friday, March 5, 2021

Mask-capades

Perhaps the hardest part for me so far of returning to the school building is wearing a mask all day. I have a wide assortment of face coverings, but I haven't found any that remain comfortable for much longer than 30 minutes. So, I always take advantage of the rule allowing us to remove our masks when we are alone in a classroom with the door closed.

But I was halfway down the hallway at school this afternoon when I realized I wasn't wearing a mask. Even though the building was almost deserted, and no one else was in sight, my eyes widened and I began to feel a little panicky. Just then, a colleague turned the corner. 

"I forgot my mask!"

"You're not wearing a mask!" we said in unison.

I spun on my heel, clapped one hand over my nose, and then pulled my turtleneck up and over my mouth, speed walking back toward my room. "Sorry," I added over my shoulder.

Back in my room, I grabbed one of the many masks on my desk and put it on. I sighed, plopped down in my chair, and put my hands in the pocket of my hoodie, where I found a mask that was in there all along. Shaking my head, I stretched my legs and stuffed my hands into my side pockets. There was another mask in the left side. 

Evidently? I know myself well enough to be prepared for those moments of forgetfulness, but not well enough to think that I actually am prepared for those moments of forgetfulness. 

Maybe I'll just keep my mask on at school.

7 comments:

  1. I did the same thing a couple of days ago. I made it all the way to the bathroom. BUT I did have my mask with me on my lanyard. UGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second to last paragraph. I mean, I LOL'ed, and I don't LOL. It is such a human thing to feel this contrast, isn't it!? You did such a nice job with the set-up too that I can see you shaking your head and smaking your forehead! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint a perfect picture of the new panic of feeling naked in the school halls! I felt like I was right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your vivid retelling of everyone’s new worst fear! To think that going maskless now tops splitting one’s pants or forgetting to zip up after a trip to the bathroom...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sentiment about preparedness and knowing yourself really resonates. I'm sure we're all going to have a few mask-related moments of mild panic ahead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chuckled thinking of you checking every pocket and finding a new mask in each one -I'm like that too. Masks are everywhere, yet when I need one I can't find one. I walked to the bathroom without a mask the other day, too. Oops!

    Side note: Have you tried the old navy ones? I find them to be the most comfortable for all-day wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same, I've got masks in every pocket, my glove box, and more. And I cherish that moments I can take refuge in my empty classroom and take a deep breath! Thanks god for breaks.

    ReplyDelete