Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Not so Free Market

"I need to work on getting more commissions at lunch today," a student told me this morning. Although I have been teaching him remotely since September, this was our first face to face interaction.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"I draw humanoid figures," he explained with a bit of impatience. "Customers ask, I go home and do it, and they pay me two dollars when I give it to them."

"Hm," I responded. "I like your initiative, but I'm pretty sure kids aren't allowed to sell things to each other here at school."

"Oh," he dismissed my concern, "that would just be faulty logic. I'm sure it's fine."

"Well," I responded. "I'd hate to see you get into trouble. Why don't I check the rules to make sure?"

4 comments:

  1. And check you did. Sorry, humanoid artist. What even is a humanoid, and what am I missing out on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t it just these sorts of interactions we’ve missed, not seeing the kids in person until now?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love his confidence with "faulty logic." He must have been so excited by customer base that hybrid would offer. I can't say I had that listed in my 'pros' column.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Faulty logic" cracked me up. I love these snapshots of 6th grade. You should put them all in a book.

    ReplyDelete