Wednesday, February 24, 2021

A Lifetime

Today was the day when I introduced the 100 Day Writing Challenge to my students. Technically, it starts next Monday, March 1, but with conferences at the end of the week and asynchronous learning, it made sense to go over it now. Plus, I've learned over the years that a few built-in safety nets prevent kids from dropping out if they miss a day or two along the way. 

I wasn't always so flexible, though. When I first started the challenge, I thought the dread of losing everything for missing a day would be more than enough to keep kids in it to win it. After all, I have held myself to the rigorous standard of daily posting since March 1, 2009 with never a miss. But these days I know that what works for me isn't necessarily what's best for everyone, and I really just want the kids to write.

When I was giving the origin story of the writing challenge this morning, though, I did tell the students that I had written every day since March 2009. "What?" one student unmuted to exclaim. "That's longer than I've been alive!"

No comments:

Post a Comment