Saturday, February 20, 2021

The Current Crisis

Yesterday I was enjoying a remote lunch with the colleagues I used to eat with every day before the pandemic. We were chatting about this and that: the weather, students, return to school, and of course, vaccines. Which one will your parents get? Did you have a reaction to the second dose?  How effective is P or M or J against the various variants? What company is closest to having the next approved vaccine?

"A year ago who would have thought we would be so interested and well-versed in big pharma?" I laughed. "I doubt I could have named a single company!"

"Maybe the one that was responsible for the opioid crisis?" Liz suggested.

"Probably," I said, thinking. "Who was that again?"

Err... 

As well-read and knowledgeable as the three of us are (clearly evidenced by our awesome 9 out of 11 on the NY Times weekly news quiz-- equal or better than 88% of other readers!), we all drew a blank.

I guess there's only so much room for misfortune in any brain, or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment