Tuesday, February 16, 2021

We're Going to Need a Bigger Toothbrush

I went to the dentist today for the first time since October 2019. My regular appointment was scheduled for just a few weeks after everything shut down last spring for the pandemic, and well, time slips, even more so these days. But having had my first dose of the vaccine, I called to schedule an appointment last week, expecting it to take some time for them to fit me in. But as luck would have it, there was a cancellation and so my teeth are sparkling and clean.

"Have there been any changes?" the hygienist asked.

"I think I might have a little more sensitivity to hot and cold," I told her.

"That is a classic symptom of clenching," she shook her head. "Have you been doing that?"

"Well, yeah," I answered. "These are kind of stressful times!" 

She laughed in agreement and continued her examination. "Go ahead and bite down for me," she directed, moving her fingers to my jawline. Her eyes widened. "Wow!" she said. "Those muscles are like little rocks. You really have been clenching!"

No comments:

Post a Comment