Sunday, February 14, 2021

Family Ties

Not long ago a guy we have known all his life posted a birthday message. Happy 50th to my big sister! it read. The joke was that she is his little sister and she is still several years away from the half century mark. 

Even so, many people echoed his regards, prompting his sister to finally reply in exasperation, I am the little sister! 

We laughed about that today when we visited with those two and their mom. We were there to offer our sympathy and pay our respects to their dad who passed away a few days ago. "What gets me," the sister said, "is that some of the people who replied went to high school with me! Did they think I flunked five grades?"

Later on in the conversation we spoke warmly of the closeness our families have enjoyed for so long;  their parents and ours were dear friends since we were children. "We've known you guys for over 50 years," I said to their mom.

"I. am. not. 50!" her daughter answered.

"True," I agreed, "but we've kind of known the idea of you for 50 years." I shrugged.

Because that's how family works.

No comments:

Post a Comment