Thursday, February 4, 2021

Gentle Reminders

Seasoned teachers know that it frequently happens that a new student will come mid-year and disrupt the whole class dynamic you've been patiently nurturing since September. It makes sense when you think about it-- that kid doesn't have any allegiance to you, and they really want to connect with their peers. Taking on the teacher in even the smallest way is an effective technique to make an impression on everyone. 

So I shouldn't have been surprised at all when, even though we are still virtual, both of the girls who recently joined one of my classes gave me a little bit of a challenge yesterday. 

As I've mentioned before, every class starts with a question of the day, and students are expected to post their answer in the chat. I read their replies out loud and usually engage each student in a very brief conversation which is meant to be a way to build our personal connection before we dive into the lesson. 

The question yesterday, What is an important lesson you have learned in your life? was crafted to serve the dual purpose of conversation and springboard into writing a fiction piece where the main character learns something important. As I read through the replies, I praised the ideas and encouraged the students who hadn't answered yet to do so. 

idk wrote one of the new kids. 

I reminded the class that there were no wrong answers, that everyone has learned lots of lessons, that no example was too small. 

i can't think of anything she posted. 

"No problem," I said. "You can stay on the call once everybody gets started and I'll help you." 

The chat dinged immediately. i thought of something, she wrote. 

"Great!" I replied. "Go ahead and put it in the chat."

its okay not to know something, she typed.

Ouch!

Later as I was giving directions, the other new student was busy in the chat posting greetings to her classmates. I was still explaining when she started writing questions. What do we do? Where do we go? and when I didn't answer immediately, she followed up with a hellooooo?????

I let it slide and explained what she needed to know. Later on, she ran into another problem and again began peppering the chat with questions, finally ending in HELLOOOOZZ???!!!

I replied to her in the chat. The helloooo thing is a bit disrespectful.

Sorry she responded. I needed to know if my messages were getting through!

You can always unmute and say "Excuse me" I reminded her.

No comments:

Post a Comment