Sunday, February 28, 2021

As it Should Be

I had a moment this afternoon, while walking the dog through relentless rain and mourning the safety and flexibility of working from home that we will soon lose, when all I wanted was to throw everything aside, like the covers in the morning when I get up, and drive cross country in April with my nephew Treat and camp for 10 days in Death Valley. Upon my return, I would go down to the Outer Banks and stay with my other nephew, Victor, on the beach for a couple weeks, until it was time to head to Alaska, where our godson, Josh, will be working this summer. 

Why not? I thought. What's stopping me?

The answer is some variation of 30 years and all the stuff that binds a 58-year-old teacher to the (wonderful) life she has built. 

But these boys! These men-- it has been my joy to take them on some of their earliest adventures, and now it stings a little to be left behind as they go forth and do such awesome things on their own.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how poignant to hear of others’ adventures at just such a time as this! I’m betting they all carry some of Aunt Tracey with them whenever they go adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sure Aunt Tracey and her boys will circle back with one another before long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d like to throw everything off like the covers in the morning, too. Soon enough, we can all pack up the car and drive I hope.

    ReplyDelete