Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Time's Arrow

One of my students brought in her kindergarten yearbook today. It was fun to see the old pictures of some of the kids I teach now and marvel at how much they've grown up in the last six years. What made it even more of a bonus was that I've been teaching at my school long enough that I knew lots of kids from every grade, K-5, in that yearbook, and it was very entertaining looking through and picking them out with my current students.

In that spirit, I pulled out my collection of the ID cards we get from the school photo company every year. A perk of the contract, they serve no practical need, and so I have all of mine, dating back to 1993, stored away in the top drawer of my desk.

I was touched at how eager the students were to look through all of them, comparing my hair and my clothes year by year, but it was the comment of Mr. 7-11, from yesterday's post, that really hit home.

"Wow!" he said, looking from me to all the tiny images of me spread across the desk. "This job really ages you!"

2 comments:

  1. Only if he means “ages” as one might describe a fine wine, growing more valuable every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously? "This job really ages you?" There need to be consequences. LOL

    ReplyDelete