Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Taking Off the Training Wheels

I stepped out of my second period class to track down a student's ipad this morning. More and more, my teaching intern has been taking the lead on instruction, and it was a good opportunity for her to solo.

Today's activity was the celebration of the media literacy unit. All of the student commercials were included, film festival-style, into a presentation, and in between students evaluated each other's work using the same instrument we applied to professionally produced ads at the beginning of the unit. 

When I returned to the classroom about 15 minutes into the period, the door was locked and I found that I had left my keys on my desk. I could hear a lot of enthusiasm within, and rather than knocking on the door to interrupt, I peeked through the blinds. It was indeed a celebration-- a proud teacher congratulated happy, engaged students on their hard work and achievement. They didn't need me at all.

Of course I felt a pang, but it was kind of like when I see former sixth graders in the hallway on their way to their 7th and 8th grade classes. I miss them, but I know I was part of the team that helped get them where they are going. 

At those times, we smile and exchange waves or nods and away they go,

but this morning? 

I knocked on the door and joined the party!

6 comments:

  1. I would love to see the results of your media literacy unit. I would definitely have knocked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great. I have a student teacher right now and love to see her successes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing unit that got your students thoroughly engaged. Your intern is lucky to be learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, would love to see images from your media literacy products. Sounds super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might be sharing them, but those kids are still yours! Enjoy the time while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this post! The touch of wistfulness at the end - it got me. What a cool way to bookend your unit! - Danielle ( sorry I don’t know how to sign in!)

    ReplyDelete