Saturday, March 16, 2019

Reading Between the Signs

It was only 55 degrees when we set off today, and although the sky was clear and blue, the wind was brisk, so we bundled ourselves in flannel and down when we headed into the woods for a hike with our dog. The sun was still unfiltered through bare branches as we walked. No spring ephemerals peeked out from the brown leaf bed lining the trail; no chickadees, brown creepers, titmice, or nuthatches buzzed or warbled us on our way, and when we crossed over creeks and passed by ponds there were no turtles sunning or even the slightest peep from a frog.

Even so,

maybe it was the angle of the sun, the way the light, both golden and white, sparkled on the run and the river beyond and right into our eyes. Or maybe it was the trees that were just beginning to swell, or the holly and rhododendron that looked so fiercely evergreen. Maybe it was just a softness in the breezy air.

Something there was that told us that winter was gone.

6 comments:

  1. I love this slice. I felt like I was on that walk in the woods with you! I hope whatever told you winter was gone was right. I'm so ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous description! I'd say the yellow daffodils and purple crocus out front would agree with your call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this...I felt the same. I loved your transition "even so" --felt so hopeful as you shifted the lens to why spring was in the air! I felt like this today, too, outside with my dog. I thought...hmmm...I didn't know it was going to be in the 60s today, then checked my phone to see it was 46! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. I'm in the midst of this in Ohio. Trees still bare, furnace still on. But! I can hear the birds in the morning. And sometimes it's warm enough for the kids to go outside to play. Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful imagery. I could read this over and over again. We're still buried under snow where I am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly - a vivid description. As another commentor mentioned, I love the transition with "Even so..."

    ReplyDelete