Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Put it in Writing

I have a student who is definitely a verbal processor. He can barely write without talking, and this morning was one of those times. "I'm writing my slice of life!" he announced.

"Try to do it quietly," I suggested. Fortunately, most of the other kids in the group are used to him, and they usually tune him out.

"I'm writing about my morning!" he persisted cheerfully. "I was almost late today, because I woke up at 7:11!"

Most of the other students stopped what they were doing and turned their attention to him. I could see the confusion and amusement on their faces as they tried to make sense of this surprising information.

"Too many slurpees last night?" I asked.

"No! I meant the time!" he replied.

I nodded.

Everyone else went back to their work.

3 comments:

  1. :-) Love it! I always make 7/11 jokes... but there aren't any 7/11's around here, so nobody ever gets it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken to nagging a few of my students lately for talking "while writing". I'm pretty sure that kind of multi-tasking is impossible, but it's almost as if I'm bursting a bubble they believe in. So nice to hear "Everyone else went back to their work." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha! Loved that - and that the student didn't blink. This is why I love middle school students.

    ReplyDelete