Thursday, March 28, 2019

Living the Dream

At the end of the quarter there are always students scrambling to finish or catch up on assignments. For sixth graders, managing expectations and grades from as many as nine different teachers is a new and often confusing task, so I try to be available after school for any kids who are willing to stay. It's never as many as probably should stay, but it's a handful every afternoon.

Today there were three girls working on completing their write notebooks so I could check and grade them. Well, two of them were working; the other one was talking more than writing, a habit that contributed heavily to her need to be there at all. Even so, she is a funny and engaging conversationalist, and it's hard to ignore her chatter.

"What's harder" she asked the other day when she was working on her unit reflection, "being a teacher, or being a parent?"

"Good question!" my colleague said. "I guess it depends on the day."

The student nodded thoughtfully and turned to me. "What do you think?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I don't have any children."

"What!" she responded, appraising me through the lens of this new information. "Do you live alone?"

"No," I answered.

She nodded knowingly. "You have a cat, right?"

Choosing not to be offended, I laughed. "Nope!" I told her. "I have two! And a dog."

"I want your life!" she said.

"Then finish your reflection, and get started on your plot chart," I advised her. 

8 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm laughing as I'm reading, so kudos to you. Great dialogue and pacing, and such an accurate portrayal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids. They never see the set up, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. I loved the innocence of the sixth grader and the conversation that ensued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me smile - love your description and your dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two cats a dog--"I want your life." Wisdom indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The line "...a habit that contributed heavily to her need to be there at all." applies to so many students but the conversation is so worth her procrastination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete