Thursday, December 7, 2023

When Did That Happen?

"Are you the oldest teacher in the school?" one of my students asked the other day when we were talking about how long I had been teaching here.

"No!" I scoffed.

"Then who is?" asked the cheeky kid.

"That's not my news to share," I informed him, but then I started thinking. Exactly how many of my colleagues are older than I am? 

Turns out, not many. There are just four out of a staff of nearly 100: three who are a couple years older and one who is a month older. I'm not sure why I was so surprised, but I was. I know a lot of people have come and gone in the 30 years I have been here, and it only makes sense that I would be one of the senior staff members both in years of service and age, but somehow that last data point got past me.

Like I've said before, when all the kids stay the same age, it's hard to imagine that you're not a little bit ageless as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment