Saturday, December 16, 2023

The Way it Crumbles

"I was looking at the Cooky Book this afternoon, " Heidi told my brother as they chatted at dinner. "Do you know it?"

Bill's eyebrows shot up and a dreamy little smile crossed his face. "Do you mean THE Cooky Book?" he asked.

From my seat down the table, I laughed as Heidi nodded.

"The one where every page is worn because we looked at every picture so many times?" he continued.

"Some of the pages are loose," Heidi confirmed.

I turned to the younger people at the table and explained. "Our mom used to give us that cookbook on rainy days."

"Oh, so you could choose the cookies you wanted to make?" my nephew's wife asked.

My brother and I shook our heads. "We didn't actually make the cookies," I said, and to be honest,  I never even considered that to have been an option, then or in the 50+ years since. "We just looked at the pictures." 

"We don't really think about it, but baking is expensive," my sister-in-law said. "Your family probably couldn't afford just to make cookies because it was raining."

And she was likely right, but I never really thought about it until now. Even so, we sure did love to look at that Cooky Book, and I can’t say I ever felt deprived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment