Friday, December 15, 2023

I Do Have a Job Y'Know

"What are you doing here?" one of my students asked as I walked down the hall toward the library. "You're not in your room?" She seemed genuinely confused, but I laughed as I breezed by. 

"I have a meeting," I explained.

And I had completely forgotten the interaction when the next day I passed through the after-school program in the cafeteria on my way to a basketball game. "What are you doing here?" another of my students asked. Then her face brightened. "Are you here to see me?"

Again I laughed. "I'm on my way to the game," I told her. "Why don't you come?"

And then yesterday, when a few kids were using my room for their Asr prayers during my planning time, I chose to give them some space and take a walk around the building. "What are you doing here?" asked a colleague as I strode down the hall. "It's not often that you leave your area."

Clearly, I need to get out more.

If only I didn't have so much work.

No comments:

Post a Comment