Saturday, December 9, 2023

One Tree

We were a little dismayed yesterday afternoon when we stopped after school at a local nursery to pick out our Christmas tree. Every single medium tree was sold out, leaving enormous Douglas firs, which ran between two and five hundred dollars, and a variety of small trees. "What about that one?" Heidi pointed at a white pine. "It would be different."

"It looks like Cousin It to me," I scoffed and a few minutes later we left with a plan to try again today. 

Once at home, I thought it might be fun to go for a bit of a drive and maybe even cut down a tree at a farm, but my research revealed that we had missed that opportunity. Despite the fact that it was not even a double-digit December date, every website I checked said that they were closed for the season. They did wish me a happy holiday, though.

This morning we decided to start with the relatively bargain-priced trees at a nearby big box store. Trolling their nursery, we were once again disappointed to see that the trees in our size range were slim pickings. I was about to give up, when I spotted a few trees leaning on a wall apart from the rest. A sign identified them as $180 Douglas firs, but the one on the end looked a bit out of place. Sure enough, when we tilted it toward us to take a look, it was a 50-buck Frasier fir of just the right size.

God bless us, every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment