Saturday, December 2, 2023

Olden Days

"What does this mean?" a student asked, pointing to the story he was reading. 

I looked at the text, I slammed down the phone, it read.

"Why would anyone slam their phone?" wondered the student. "Wouldn't it break?"

"I can understand your confusion," I laughed, "but he's talking about a landline." I walked over and picked up the receiver on my classroom phone. "You know how to hang this up, right?"

He looked at me in confusion. 

"She means, end the call," another student supplied.

"Right," I agreed putting the receiver down. "This is called hanging up, and sometimes when people were mad or excited they would slam down the receiver." I picked up the handset and demonstrated.

"Ooooooh," said the first student. "I guess that makes sense?" 

"That was a good question," I assured him.

He went back to reading, and I shook my head. It had recently occurred to me that I am 50 years older than the people I spend most of my time with, and boy! Was that half-century showing!

No comments:

Post a Comment