Sunday, December 3, 2023

Uncomplicated

I recently updated the operating system on my smartwatch, and,  as I always do, I eagerly checked to see what new watch faces were available. Clicking around in the watch app, I soon landed on a cute little snoopy face and I tapped to add it to my favorites.

It was really just a gesture, though, because, for the last many years, my watch face has been the analog time superimposed on my activity rings. Seeing my progress at a glance has become second nature, if not always as motivating as it used to be, and I wasn't inclined to make any changes. The "complications" or other widgets I kept on the face were the timer, the weather, in the upper corners, and the exercise tracker on the bottom, and I liked having those apps literally at my fingertips.

But when I put my watch on for the first time after updating, Snoopy skated across the face with Woodstock fluttering behind. That's cute, I thought, and swiped to return to my old standby, which for some reason didn't happen. When I looked again, Snoopy took off from the minute hand with helicopter ears, which made me giggle a little. 

I looked to see how to add other widgets to the Snoopy face, but soon found I could not. Flipping my wrist to examine my watch, I observed Beagle Scout Snoopy jump off the hour hand with five little Woodstocks behind him, and I was charmed enough to keep the face for a while.

Over the last week, I've enjoyed dozens of animations that change with the time, the weather, and the season, and so far every one tickles me whenever I check the time. I've discovered I don't need to be ready to set a timer at any moment, or instantly know the details of my activity or the temperature outside, or even track my exercise with a single tap. Just watching Snoopy fish from the minute hand and catch Woodstock is enough.

For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment