Sunday, December 17, 2023

It's Coming to Town

My timing is off.

Starting with our school calendar, which keeps us in school for three days after surrounding districts are already on winter break, and adding to that situation a change in our traditional travel plans, plus the loss of Heidi's dad, and a few other things, and I can barely keep track of the date.

The tree is up, the lights are on, but the ornaments are still stored away. As of this morning, I hadn't baked a single tea cake, my personal favorite, but several other varieties were ready to be exchanged and shared. My shopping? Is mostly done, I think, which is good, because since we're teaching the next three days and then heading to Buffalo on Thursday, I'm not sure when else I would finish.

It seems like only yesterday it was late November after an early Thanksgiving, but weeks ago we couldn't find a tree (until we did!). Despite it all, I don't feel anxious or stressed in the least, a little disoriented maybe, but perfectly calm even so. Because, as the Grinch learned,  Christmas will come, even without ribbons and tags, packages, boxes, and bags.

Not that I intend to find out, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment