Thursday, August 31, 2023

Since You Asked

“Did you go running this morning or something?” A student asked me this morning, eying my capri leggings and hoodie with a tiny bit of a sneer.

In response to the note of disparagement I heard in his voice I turned and made eye contact with him. “Are you trying to give me a compliment or do you want me to feel uncomfortable about what I’m wearing?” I asked him in a neutral voice. 

He was taken aback by the directness of my question. “No, no,” he assured me. But then he shrugged and scoffed. “You’re just dressed like you went running or something.”

“You don’t know me very well, yet,” I said, “but I do yoga and meditation every morning.”

His eyes widened a bit, and he returned to his seat, perhaps a bit chastened. And although my morning practice is not why I was dressed as I was, it sure was the reason I handled the situation that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment