Tuesday, August 29, 2023

It Tolls for Thee

"Is that the bell?" asked one of the new sixth graders when she heard a soft dinging in the middle of class.

"I think so?" I answered, "But to be honest I'm not sure, because that is not what the bells here have ever sounded like before. Plus, it's not the end of class."

"How long have you been here?" asked another student.

"Thirty years!" I told him, "and the bells have been the same for that entire time! Three nice and loud chimes. I don't know why anyone would want to change it to that little ping!" 

I laughed and stopped my rant so that we could get back to our activity. "Who else heard something interesting about another student in our meet and greet?" I inquired. 

"I found out that A's father went to this school!" reported a student.

"That's right!" I nodded. "He sure did!" 

"Were you here then?" the student continued.

"Yep," I sighed. "It was back when the bells rang the right way."

No comments:

Post a Comment