Sunday, August 27, 2023

Association

While he was waiting to talk to another teacher about a new student, I roped a colleague into helping me with the mundane task of recording locker combos on index cards for my incoming homeroom. We sat companionably as he called out the lock number, I read the combination aloud from a spreadsheet and transferred it to a card, and then he slid the card onto the lock. 

"8-26-16," I said, writing it down. "Wait. Isn't your birthday coming?" I interrupted myself.

"Yeah it's Saturday," he answered. "Good memory."

"It was that combination," I told him. "8-26."

"Whoa!" he shook his head. "I feel like I just got a glimpse inside your brain. Does it really work that way?"

"Pretty much," I laughed, going on to the next combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment