Friday, August 11, 2023

Disconnected

I didn't even notice I was light in the pockets until half an hour or so after I got home. Then, wondering where I had set my phone, I tried to buzz it with my watch, and that's when I discovered that I did not have my phone.

Oh, I knew where it was. 

I had spent a lovely evening at Bill and Emily's for a family birthday dinner, and I had deliberately set my phone aside so that I could focus on the people rather than the device. In general, I don't think I'm too bad when it comes to staring at a screen instead of the face in front of me, but I know the allure of easy answers and photo illustrations can arise in almost every conversation, and so I put my phone down.

And I was very good! I participated in conversations and never looked at my phone once-- even when it was time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment