Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Good Morning to You and You and You and You

I'm making good progress toward knowing all my students' names. Of course, it helps that some of them remember their name cards and, since I've assigned seats, that post-it note in the middle of each table is a great cheat, too.

Several years ago, I decided to commit to standing in the hallway as often as possible and greet as many kids as I could by name. A couple years ago, I invited my early-arriving homeroom students to join me and say good morning also. It was fun to greet everyone and we helped each other with the names that were unfamiliar. 

Today I finally had a chance to start that practice again for this year, and I laughed when a group of now seventh graders found their way back to assist me again. We stood in the hall like old times and said good morning to everyone, using as many names as we could. 

I've been around long enough to know that soon my former students will gravitate more toward their current teachers, which is as it should be, and our mornings together will become fewer and fewer. It makes me a little sad, but I intend to enjoy their company while I can, and I'm sure that there are new sixth graders who will be more than willing to take those spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment