Thursday, August 24, 2023

Rumor Had It

 "I can't believe you're still here!" gushed a woman at our open house this morning. "This is my daughter," she put her arm around a new sixth grader. "And she was my teacher," she pointed at me.

"Well, basketball coach," I shrugged. "I taught your brother Brandon, though."

The older women with them turned to me with a sizing look. It was my former student's mother. "Girl!" she said. "You've been here a looooooong time." She shook her head. "How many years?"

"This is 31," I laughed.

"Time for you to retire!" she patted my shoulder.

"Maybe so," I agreed. 

"Didn't Mr. H retire?" she asked, mentioning the guy I coached with for many years.

"Two years ago," I nodded.

"I've got to ask you something," her voice dropped to a whisper. "But maybe not in front of the children." She looked around meanigfully.

My eyebrows shot up, but my curiosity got the better of me. "Okay?"

"Were you and Mr. H ever dating?" 

I laughed again. "Oh no!" I assured her. "We were just very good friends."

She gave me that look again, and walked away unconvinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment