Friday, August 18, 2023

Eyes on the Prize

News today that for her next album Dolly Parton covers "Let it Be" with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. "Leave it to Dolly to reunite the Beatles," wrote The New York Times.

I laughed and remembered how a few weeks ago when we were down in Atlanta, I was talking with my sister about my upcoming trip to Asheville and the fact that Pigeon Forge, TN really wasn't that much further. "It would be fun to go there," I said. "I love Dolly Parton!"

My sister nodded. "If you ask me," she replied, only half joking, "Dolly Parton should get the Nobel Peace Prize!" 

I wouldn't disagree, but her husband did. "Dolly Parton?" he rolled his eyes. "No way!"

My sister wouldn't back down, though. Instead, she ticked through a list of Dolly's accomplishments.  "She has funded literacy and music programs at needy schools for years," she started. 

Her husband shrugged.

"She helped fund the COVID vaccine," my sister continued, and by the time she finished, her husband had come around.

"That is pretty impressive," he agreed, and we didn't even know about the Beatles, then!

No comments:

Post a Comment