Saturday, August 26, 2023

A Timely Reminder

I was really happy to have so many of my former students stop by at the open house at school the other day. Not only was it wonderful to catch up with them and see how great they looked, taller and relaxed after a summer off, but it was also nice for the new students and their families to hear a kid's perspective on my class. Their commentary was funny and sweet, and it was gratifying to know how much they appreciated our year together, although there was also a tendency to exaggerate. 

"She has a magic portal in her desk," one boy assured the other visitors earnestly. "It produces an endless supply of Jolly Ranchers!" He looked at me. "Should we show them?"

"Nice try!" I laughed and thought of my empty bottom drawer; I hadn't had time to shop for my signature incentive. "I'm afraid the portal's closed until school starts next week," I explained, and then walked over to the to-do list on my desk and added Jolly Ranchers.


No comments:

Post a Comment